Monday, August 20, 2012

DayZ - Day 1, Part 2 - In the game.



DAYZ - Day 1 Part 2
In the game

After spending an entire day, swearing, Praying, arguing with my computer as I tried to fix the missing files, it finally worked.

I logged in DayZ, then picked a low ping server that had about 20 players in it and press join. I then had to wait the five minutes for it to load. I spawned on a crisp day near a beach. I tested my game controller and mouse buttons, checking what key/button does what. As I was messing around with my keys, I realized that I wasn't alone, something was walking slowly about ten feet away from me, It was Zombie. I then had realized that there were a few more zeds standing near the building, Some were walking on their hands and feet, like a drunk man who had dropped his car keys and couldn't figure out how to stand back up. My first instinct was to duck down (I remember to do this from reading some of the noob guides) and I opened up my inventory screen to look for my pistol.

It wasn't there.

I looked around in my backpack a frenzy trying to find it. I remembered seeing many videos on youtube, where players had spawned with the pistol. By the time I had figured out that this is not the time to mess around looking for my pistols with ghouls so close, One of them had spotted me and made a weird aggressive moan groan, like some one yelling at you but you hit them in the throat with a rubber chicken. All zombies near by turned and as one, all charged at me after me. I remembered watching one video, where a player was openly pondered if zombies could swim. The answer is yes, they can. I saw a light house across the bay and I started swimming and didn't stop until I made it there.

When I arrived to shore, I looked into my back pack again. Got annoyed that I couldn't find it and then decide to tab out of the game to look up any information, i found two posts where players had  said that the people who did DayZ wanted it to make it more challenging for players. I tabbed back in to see 4 zeds almost climbing up from the ocean to shore. I ran inside the light house and couldn't figure out how to climb up the ladder up.

Well to let you know, zombies can hit through walls. I died in a few seconds.

My advice is, if you want to learn how to play your character with keys, Do the bootcamp single player in Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, I know it is utterly dull but it gives you time to calibrate your controls and also understand the bare basic of the mechanics.

I spent an hour messing around with my Belkin NT52 (which is built on my chair for one arm and my mouse pad on the other arm), I was ready now for my next adventure.

Tip:

If you have been traveling far and your character has been gasping from running. Always best to rest before entering a town so your aim will be more accurate and also make it easier to listen to footsteps and other noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment